Department of Agricultural Economics and Agri-business
Sudan is characterized by diversity of water sources and high productive fertile soils. The increment in population density at capitals and big cities had created high demand for horticultural production to meet food and health needs. Development of new intensive production technologies and protected houses, high and quick horticultural production economic return had attracted large numbers of labors and establishment of agricultural cooperatives have pave the way for export processes and contribute to increase national income. Sudan is proposed to be the bread basket of Arabic and Islamic world. The increased urban modernization accompanied by establishment of green yards and the diffusion of horticultural culture. All these developments necessitate the need for trained qualified cadres to lead the development process in this sector.
- to be a premier source of education, research, and leadership in development of agricultural economics and agribusiness.
- The Department of Agricultural Economics & Agribusiness engages graduates in the use of economic analysis for making decisions involving agribusinesses, natural resources, and communities, through the pursuit of learning, leadership, diversity, professional development and excellence.
- Respond highly to priority issues facing society in agribusiness natural resources, environmental quality and communities.
- Prepare graduates for employment through development of their leadership and communication skills.
- Conduct applied research programs to analyze business and public policy issues and respond to high-priority societal needs.
- Enhance the use of economic principles and research methods in solving economic problems through disciplinary research and graduate education.
- Develop targeted extension and outreach educational programs to deliver relevant information and teach the use of economic and business principles in making decisions.